Thursday, January 26, 2012

Linguistic Intelligence/Decision

   Howard Gardner, a profound psychologist and author of the book "Frames of Mind: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences" talks about the different types of Intelligences that define how people are different from one and other. These include Musical, Mathematical, and in my case, Linguistic Intelligence.
   Linguistic Intelligence refers to somebody's ability to command language, and use it as a tool to build with. It states that writing is a muscle, that daily should be exercised and put to work. Everybody has some form of L.I., which enables them to understand poetry in the simplest sense, but one with greater L.I. sees the words for their dimensions. Somebody with greater L.I. naturally understands the shades of different words, and the connotative meanings behind each one. They understand the feel of a writing as a whole, by all elements of the writing, not what is merely talked about. Such examples would be the rhythm and euphemistic sounds of specific words and phrases compared to their meaning, or in some cases, what is is cosmetically appeasing.
   I do not believe I have much greater Linguistic Intelligence than any of my friends, but I do believe I have a great bit of it, and because of this I will keep writing, but only to myself for now. I want to keep writing things, to work my way out of my similar ruts and to build my skills through writing in bulk. I want to sharpen patterns, re-tune my natural tempo, and revamp my writings to a new level. I know it sounds silly, but it hopefully makes sense.
   Until then, my old poems are still here and ready to be enjoyed, because I know there is no way that somebody can know all 170 of my writings. But to be fair, here and there I might post a new one, and maybe even some old ones I haven't posted before. But once I feel like I'm back out of my rut, I'll be sure to post a lot of new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment